Care homes supportShow sub-pages
Events and training opportunities
If you are interested in attending a training session or event, please contact the Care Home Support Team on 0117 900 2415 or email them at: email@example.com
Details of all training will be shared directly with Bristol’s care homes with nursing.
If you have any story of best practice, get in touch with the Care Home Support Team.
Anticipatory/End of Life medication
This training will be delivered by St Peter’s Hospice. The key points covered are:
- Understanding patient suitability for the provision of End of Life / Just in case medication
- Training and competency required for safe and effective use of End of life / Just in case medication
- Risk management and liability
- Brief talk about what’s commonly prescribed for EOL categorised by the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Agitation in the last days of life
- Respiratory tract secretions in the last days of life
Attendance of one half-day Medicines Optimisation session will contribute to 3 hours of CPD for NMC re-validation. Certificates will be issued at the end of the sessions.
Medicines and Falls
This training will be delivered by University Hospitals Bristol Foundation Trust. The Key points that will be covered:
- Give an overview of how medicines can cause falls
- Discuss some case studies
- Consider some ways to minimise the risk of medication-associated falls
NEWS and Falls
The focus of the training is on looking at improving care for residents particularly in recognising a resident’s deterioration using the NEWS (National Early Warning Score) and to escalate for necessary treatment as early as possible. There will also be support for care home staff in preventing and managing those residents prone to falling using a range of different methods adapted for use in care homes.
Attendance to a day of NEWS/Falls sessions will contribute to 7 hours of CPD for NMC re-validation. Certificates will be issued at the end of the sessions.
Texture Modified Diets for Nutritionally Vulnerable Groups
Run by our Bristol Dietician at the Wellspring Healthy Living Centre.
Would you like to be confident that your Texture C (thick puree) is the right consistency and contains enough nutrients? Would you like to be clear about the differences between ‘puree’, ‘fork mashable’ and ‘soft’ diets? This is the course for you!
Understand the different texture modified diets and the risks associated with not offering the recommended texture
- Experience preparing different texture modified meals in line with guidelines
- Understand the link between malnutrition and texture modified diets
- Confidently use food to treat malnutrition in your setting
These sessions are open to catering staff, carers and nurses from care homes in Bristol. To book email Sharon Sexton, Dietitian or telephone on 0117 900 2539.
Should you book on but fail to attend, a £50 non-attendance fee will be invoiced to your organisation.
Leadership and Support for Professional Decision Making
Working with care homes has shown that registered nurses in care homes would welcome support with leadership development and help with effective techniques to support professional decision making.
End of Life (EoL) Training
Caring for resident at the end of their lives is an important part of looking after people in care homes The CCG has booked a number of places for care home staff to take up at the St Peters Hospice .
This training is for both carers and registered nurses and helps staff to build confidence when holding difficult conversations with residents and their families and promotes good care planning for the end of life.
Care Home Conference - 5 March 2018
There will be presentations from key organisations and training workshops on key areas effecting care homes for nurses and care home managers which can be included as part of your revaluation.
Agendas and details of how to register are sent to all care home managers to share with their teams. They will also be avilable to download here soon.
Notes and resources from previous conferences can be found in the resources section.
The CCG produces a bi-monthly Care Home Newsletter please find copies below:
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 12 - August 2017 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 11 - May 2017 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 10 - March 2017 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 9 - December 2016 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 8 - September 2016 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 7 - May 2016 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 6 - February 2016 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 5 - December 2015 (PDF)
- Care Homes Newsletter - Issue 4 - October 2015 (PDF)
Bristol City Council - Care Home Provider Forum (CHPF)
The CHPF is for care home providers on the Bristol City Council (BCC) - Care Home Framework, those with a BCC contract and those interested in joining the framework.
The forum is an opportunity to discuss issues relevant to the development and commissioning of services in a care home setting, to disseminate information and gather views about future commissioning, and an opportunity for providers to share common issues with each other and BCC.
See details of forthcoming forum events (via Eventbrite)