Your health & local services
Self-care, pharmacies and GPsShow sub-pages
Make the most of your local pharmacist
Your local pharmacist (chemist) is your healthcare expert on the high street.
They provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common conditions and will be able to help you decide if you need to see a GP or other health service.
No appointment is needed, and many have separate consulting rooms for completely confidential advice.
- dispense medicine on prescription
- dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
- give advice on treating common ailments like coughs and colds
- help you manage long-term conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- give advice on medication, including if you're taking medicine for lots of different conditions
- give advice on staying healthy
- give sexual health and contraception advice
- provide treatments for common ailments like head lice and athlete's foot.
Many also offer free emergency contraception including the morning after pill.
Did you find this information helpful?