Your health & local services
Self-care, pharmacies and GPsShow sub-pages
Make the most of your local pharmacist
Your local pharmacist (chemist) is your healthcare expert on the high street.
They provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common conditions and will be able to help you decide if you need to see a GP or other health service.
No appointment is needed, and many have separate consulting rooms for completely confidential advice.
- dispense medicine on prescription
- dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
- give advice on treating common ailments like coughs and colds
- help you manage long-term conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- give advice on medication, including if you're taking medicine for lots of different conditions
- give advice on staying healthy
- give sexual health and contraception advice
- provide treatments for common ailments like head lice and athlete's foot.
Many also offer free emergency contraception including the morning after pill.
There are no pharmacies in Bristol that part of the minor ailments scheme.
Did you find this information helpful?