Your health & local services
Keeping fit and eating well
Even small changes to you and your family’s daily routine, physical activity and eating habits can make a big difference to the health and wellbeing of you all. Increased physical activity, maintaining healthy weight, eating a balanced diet and playing sports can not only prevent illness, but can improve your mood, confidence, sleep and concentration.
Information on healthy diets
- go to Change4Life for tips on shopping and preparing healthy food, including what to cut back on and healthy option swaps
- discover more about healthy eating at NHS Choices Healthy Eating
- learn more about healthy lifestyles for children at NHS Choices Children's Health
- discover how to eat for ‘healthy hearts’ at NHS Choices Healthy Hearts
- get advice on drinking and how to cut back at Change4Life Drinking Alcohol and NHS Choices
Getting fit & out and about
Active Bristol has created the Get Active database to help people of all ages and abilities find fun things to do to keep themselves active.
Find things to do in your area on the Get Active database and find out more about Active Bristol at Bristol City council’s website.
Local leisure and sports centres
Bristol has a wide range of sports centres and clubs where you can meet others and keep fit.
Find out more at Bristol City Council (sport and fitness).
Walk for Health Bristol
Walk for Health Bristol is an initiative that supports Bristol’s diverse communities in becoming more active through walking. It provides group walks for people of all ages and a range of walking abilities, led by volunteers. Find out more and view local walks programmes:
Exercise referral scheme
If you have a medical condition – such as diabetes – and you are not very active, please find out more about the exercise referral scheme.
Learn more about the benefits of exercise and get advice on exercising safely at NHS Choices (fitness).
What is the single best treatment for your health? Watch this video to find out.