Your health & local services
Here you’ll find information on the damaging health effects of smoking and the local support and advice available to help you quit.
One of the best reasons to quit is the benefit to your own health and wellbeing:
- smoking causes serious health problems, many of them life-threatening
- smoking increases your risk of stroke and heart disease, and your chances of developing respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis and emphysema
- smoking can contribute to several types of cancer (not just lung cancer) and a certain type of leukaemia
- smoking can also damage your ability to conceive and is dangerous for your unborn child if you are pregnant
- smoking can damage the health of your family and friends through breathing second-hand smoke
Avoiding long-term illness is a great incentive to quit, but there are everyday benefits too.
After quitting you will:
- have more energy
- be better at fighting off colds and flu
- be free from cravings and mood swings
- look and feel younger
You’ll also notice the benefits in your purse, saving thousands of pounds a year if you’re a regular smoker.
Where can I find help to quit?
Read about what treatment and support is available on the Bristol City Council LiveWell website.
Visit NHS Smokefree online to:
- order a free quit kit and information leaflets
- download the NHS Smokefree smartphone app
- find local support
Visit NHS Choices website to:
- read about smoking and related illnesses, including the dangers of smoking when pregnant
- self-help tips on how to give up